This semester I took two courses on American Authors/Works, and I have to say they were great. I love American authors and stories,they are some of my favorite. Anyway, I wanted to leave you guys some suggestions if you want to read some American Authors from the past.
1. Nathaniel Hawthorne- His writing style is unique and he covers themes on sin, redemption, judging others, and so forth. Lasting themes I think. Some of his most famous works include; The Scarlet Letter, The Birth Mark, and many others. I suggest him if you are interested in symbolism because he uses a lot of it.
2. Washington Irving- A great writer, his work is full of fun. It is great short reading material. His famous works include, Rip Van Winkle, and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
3. Whitman- We didn't read him in class but he is a wonderful poet dealing with nature and history. I recommend him to anyone interested in either of those.
4. Hannah Webster Foster- Wrote "The Coquette" a cautionary tale. It was a really good. It is a collection of letters written back and forth between many different people. It was interesting and presented the difficulties of being a woman in earlier times.
5. Sister Carrie- Theodore Dreiser- A really long book, but very good. It tells alot of America in the past. It has lasting themes as well and is a very descriptive book. I think it is a great novel and would suggest it to anyone with a lot of time on their hands.
There are so many new authors that also have great American Fiction, but for Early American Literature these are some notable works. Any American Lit or Fiction Suggestions? I would love to hear them.:)

No comments:
Post a Comment