Tuesday, May 12, 2009

World Literature Suggestions




This semester I took a World Literature class. It was a great class and we read many different things from throughout the world in different time periods. I have my three favorites, and I would suggest them to anyone who has an interest in World Literature. They are:

1. My favorite thing we read was "The Letters of Abelard and Heloise" It is a collection of real letters shared between former lovers who later joined the catholic church. Abelard became a priest and Heloise a nun. The letters are brilliant and include theology as well. I highly recommend this book to anyone it offers something for everyone and it is easy to read.

2. Pirandello's play "Six Characters in Search of an Author" is hilarious. It is like a behind the scenes look at a play. There are the real characters and the actors and the dialogue is so funny. It offers an overall theme of the search for reality. It is a great play.

3. Moliere's play "Tartuffe" is a great play regarding religious hypocrisy. The characters are dynamic and funny and the play has great moral themes.

I enjoyed taking this course, and I would recommend any of these if you guys have extra time to read this summer.

1 comment:

Elijah Davidson said...

One of my favorite books is The Place of the Lion by Charles Williams. In this book, one of the characters is an expert on Abelard. I've always wondered who Abelard was, but I've never taken the time to look him up.