Friday, April 30, 2010

Course Review: Literary Analysis


For the next few weeks on Friday I wanted to do a course review on my classes this semester. I want to share some great books, plays, and information with you guys about stuff I have learned. I hope these posts are helpful and I would love to hear any suggestions or comments from you about books you have read, information you have learned regarding the subject, or anything else that comes to mind. So let the fun begin:)

The course I will review this week is Literary Analysis
This course focused on reading closely to find symbolism, and it also focused on learning more about genres of literature such as poetry, short-stories, novels, dramas, and many others. Some of the recommendations I would make regarding books to read would be:

  • Shakespeare's "Othello"- I would recommend reading the footnotes and textual references, I did this and it really helped me understand the customs, language, and overall drama better. This play is awesome the themes are lasting and relevant even today. If you wish to watch the movie I would recommend the older version with Lawrence Fishburn called "Othello" rather than the updated version "O" because "Othello" is truer to the story line.
  • "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows- This book focuses on the island of Guernsey during World War II. It is written in letter format which is so interesting and that helps reveal the characters better. I highly recommend this book. It is a short read but comical, historical, and relevant.
  • The short story by Flannery O'Connor "A Good Man is Hard to Find" This might be available for free online. It is a really good short story and reflects themes that hit the heart of Christianity and what it means to really be a Christian. It is a short read so it is good for anyone who is really busy.
There are other suggestions regarding poetry if you are interested just let me know and I will give you the title of the book we read in class.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: