Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bible Verses Genesis: Part 3 Abraham


I wanted to do a post regarding Abraham since he played a vital role in Genesis. There is much more in Genesis than I am able to share at this time, this is by far not a comprehensive study but rather a summary of some of the events in Genesis. Back to Abram later named Abraham, he defines obedience, when I read about him one thing stands out and that is that regardless of what God tells him, he obeys. This is true when God first calls him all the way until God asks him to sacrifice his son Issac. Abraham's obedience shines forth. Obedience is a quality I struggle with, but it is something I seek. I seek to know and trust God so much that regardless of what he says I obey. Abraham is a man of faith, humility and trust.

I wanted to share some verses that display Abraham's faith and obedience I hope they serve as inspiration for us all:

"Now the Lord said to Abram, "Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the famililies of the earth shall be blessed. So Abram went. . ." (Genesis 12: 1- 4)

" When Abram was ninety- nine years old the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, "I am God Almighty, walk before me, and be blameless, that I may make my covenant between me and you, and may multiply you greatly. Then Abram fell on his face and God said to him, "Behold, my covenant is with you, and you shall be the father of a multitude of nations. No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham, for I have made you the father of a multitude of nations."' (Genesis 17:1-5)

"But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, " Abraham, Abraham!" And he said "Here I am." He said, "Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your own son, your only son, from me."
. . . So Abraham called the name of that place, "The Lord will provide, " as it is said to this day, "On the mount of the Lord it shall be provided."' (Genesis 22: 11-14)

If you would like to comment on Abraham, obedience, or anything else regarding Genesis please feel free, I would love to hear your comments:)

No comments: