Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bible Verses: Genesis Part 2


Genesis is dense with the accounts of many different events. The fall, Noah, Abraham, and so many more. Each of these is highly significant and could be a post all their own, so I will address many of them in later posts. The story of Joseph is also there, and I think the story is so amazing because of what God brings Joseph through and how he shows triumph through tragedy. I wanted to share part of the account of Joseph today.

Genesis 45:4
" So Joseph said to his brothers, " Come near to me, please." And they came near. And he said, " I am your brother, Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. And now do not be distressed or angry with yourselves because you sold me here, for God sent me before you to preserve life. For the famine has been in the land these two years, and there are yet five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvest. And God sent me before you to preserve you for a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors. So it was not you who sent me here, but God."

I think this passage is so convicting and also triumphant. It is convicting because the love that Joseph has for those who hurt him so deeply convicts me because of how I fall short in that area. It is very hard to love those who persecute you, and yet this passage reminds me that it is God's love that we share with them. It causes me to want to love others like Joseph did. It is triumphant because it reveals that God's will is perfect in all things, that he has a plan for each person's life. His plan for Joseph's life led him down a dark road, but in the end he was right where he needed to be so that they survived the famine. It reveals once again that God can transform a bad situation into something great.

I would love to hear your thoughts regarding Joseph, Genesis, this passage or anything else you wish to share.

No comments: