Friday, February 12, 2010

Cute Valentine's Cupcakes




Each Valentine's Day I try to bake a couple of things to celebrate. This year I baked cupcakes, and on Valentine's Day I am going to bake Double Chocolate Pot De Creme( A recipe from my Nordstrom's cookbook.) I will share more about that dessert later, hopefully it turns out well, I am not the best baker. I love trying new recipies and its been a while since I have so I decided to try that one out. Anyways, I wanted to share with you some tips I learned for baking cupcakes, as in the past I have made some really bad batches.:( I also wanted to share how you all could make your own Valentine's Day cute cupcakes so here it goes:

Tips:
1.Use cupcake mix instead of cake mix, it works better and is more consistent than cake mix.
2. Put the icing in a pastry bag it softens it and makes it better to shape. You can find these at Walmart or other local grocery stores in the baking section. If you really want to get creative,they have tips you can add to make the icing look a certain way. They are very cute and inexpensive.
3. Frost after the cupcakes have cooled(I have made the mistake of frosting before cooling so many times.)
4. Finally, have fun and get creative, baking is a great activity for families to do together:)

Recipe:
1. Make cupcake mix as directed( Any flavor of cupcake mix will do.)
2. Let cupcakes cool and then add icing from pastry bag ( You can use any combination you want, our favorite is chocolate mix with cherry icing.)
3. Add sprinkles
4. Add one more decoration it can be heart shaped candy, special paper decorations, or anything you choose. The best place to find these themed is Hobby Lobby or a local craft store.
5. Enjoy:)