Jonah contains a story that many are familiar with. Jonah disobeys God and is eaten by a whale and resides inside of that whale for three days and three nights. (Jonah Ch. 1-2) Some verses that strike me in the text are those contained in Jonah's prayer to God from inside the whale. In the midst of punishment and a pretty bad conditions Jonah acknowledges God and seeks Him, and even thanks him. The punishment becomes a growing point for Jonah as I believe that God's conviction and punishment do for us today, they draw us closer to him and help us to grow.
Jonah 2: 6-9
"I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me forever;
yet you brought up my life from the pit,
O Lord my God.
When my life was fainting away,
I remembered the Lord,
and my prayer came to you,
into your holy temple.
Those who pay regard to vain idols
forsake their hope of steadfast love.
But I with the voice of thanksgiving
will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay
Salvation belongs to the Lord."
I would love to hear any comments regarding Jonah, these verses, or anything God has laid upon your heart:)

1 comment:
I love Jonah. There is so much more to that book then just the whale.
Post a Comment