Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bible Verses: Habakkuk


I wanted to share some of my favorite verses from Habakkuk, a small but influential book of the Old Testament. It only contains three chapters but they are critical in presenting a conversation between God and himself. The verses that impacted me the most are at the very end, and I long to have the trust and heart of Habakkuk when faced with hard trials:

From Habakkuk 3:17-19

"Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deers; he makes me tread on my high places. "

I love these verses because Habakkuk asks God questions and the answers he receives are not good. Still despite the upcoming destruction of his land, God reveals that his overall intention is to rid Habakkuk's people of the sin that plagues the land, and through it all Habakkuk rejoices. It is a true demonstration of total trust in God despite loosing everything.He will rejoice because in the end God knows him and that is more important the what he will lose, he will find his strength from the Lord and rejoices in the midst of hardship. These verses cause me to want to change my heart and become more obedient and trusting. Not to fear, because God is the source of all, and that is worthy of honor and celebration despite any circumstance.

What are some verses from Habakkuk that have impacted you, or how has God challenged you in the area of trust this past year?

No comments: