Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Kaleb Avery Stockton's Birth Story



Ok so I wanted to post Kaleb's birth story in one place so everyone could read about it and know the story of his birth. Here it goes. . .

We arrived at the hospital at 3:30 pm on Tuesday and received a cervix medication. We labored with that and slight contractions for 10 hours until 4am. We were too excited to sleep much we were so ready to meet our little guy. At 4am they began an induction medication known as Pitocin or I refer to it as a freight train because it hits you like one. I labored with that for a few hours with no pain meds waiting to reach a certain point to get an epidural. It was an emotional wait. . .

The epidural came and no relief was found. Because I have a family history of allergic reactions and I have had minor side effects from anesthesia, they started it out really low. Every two hours I could feel every contraction as they continued to increase the Pitocin. The worst point was when we were at a level 38 with the Pitocin and the contractions were coming every minute and I felt all of them. The epidural did not work until 4 hrs before giving birth. But God never left our side instead he surrounded us with love and support from nurses and family. We listened to praise music throughout the labor and prayed often in search of some relief. God gives peace in the places that are the hardest and we were about to hit a rough spot. . .

About 16 hrs into the labor with Pitocin I developed a high fever and they began to treat me for an infection with Penicillin. Then the baby's heart rate had issues so they gave me oxygen. By this time I knew the side effects of Pitocin well enough to know that we needed to get off the medication and fast. So we prayed, God give us some progress or we will have to demand a C-Section. 10 minutes later God answered our prayer we were moving forward. Approximately two hours later I told the nurses that I was ready to push and we were getting really close to meeting our son. . .

The nurses told me it could be up to three hours of pushing but then something amazing happened. We began to push and immediately they said this baby is going to be out in the next ten minutes. They paged the doctor who was at home in bed and we hoped he would make it in time. He made it in the nick of time to deliver our baby. Kaleb had arrived at 2am on Thanksgiving morning after a 22 hour labor to the sound of hymns playing in the background. It was a moment etched in time and he is a dream come true.

2 comments:

the mom~ said...

Ahhhh, a long labor but soooo worth it! Praising God for a healthy baby and a long, but awesome delivery.

Annaleah said...

I'm glad they didn't section you! It kills me every time I hear about a pit induced c-section.

Congrats! He's beautiful!