Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bible Verses: Jeremiah


We are back in Jeremiah for the month of January. This week and next week we will continue in Jeremiah 31. After that we will cover specific passages that focus on Jeremiah's prophesy. Here is the tentative three month overview of what we will cover in this series:

January: Jeremiah
February: God's Love focus series
March: Lamentations

For now, lets return to Jeremiah. Much of Jeremiah deals with the sin of Judah, the fall of Jerusalem, and God's unfailing mercy. Jeremiah depicts God's wrath against sin and His love for His people. We will still not be able to comprehensively study this book, but I know that God's word will transform us. I pray that this study opens our eyes and hearts to our own sin in need of repentance, and I pray God speaks to each of us through this study.

* Bible Verses is not a comprehensive study and each reader should seek the Lord alone for revelation and translation.

Jeremiah 31: 31-33
"Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people."

This passage is so moving and beyond comprehension. God promises a new covenant after the people of Israel break the first one. This reminds me of salvation. The mercy and redemption in spite of sin and failure. I have broken His law and not kept His commandments but the mercy He gives through the cross is immersive. Christ is our Savior. Christ saved us from the wrath of God, from our sin, from death, from bondage, from the world. We are His people. We are called by His name. May we never forget or take for granted that we belong to Him. May we live that each day.

No comments: