This week I wanted to review another course I took Women in Literature. This was by far one of my favorite courses I have taken in college. Every work we read had important information regarding women and their role in society. I wanted to share some of my favorites with you. If you have some favorites please share them with me.
1. "A Raisin in the Sun"- This play by Lorraine Hansberry presents many different roles that women had including cultural roles, domestic roles, and educational roles. The play depicts a family and the struggles they go through together. I highly recommend it. It also comes in a film version though it might be hard to find. The play is not very long and can be read in a few afternoons, but I think it is one that everyone should read.
2. "Flannery's Last Peacock" by Jane Roberts Wood- This short story is full of symbolism and dynamic themes. The actual short story was just published so it might be a while before it is available to the public, but it is worth checking into. I don't want to give the story away but it is a very well written and fascinating story.
3. "Roman Fever" by Edith Wharton- This short story deals with relationships and the perplexity that comes with them. It focuses on two women and their daughters on a vacation in Rome and many secrets are revealed from the past. It is a very good story and it is short enough to read in an hour or so if you are busy. I would recommend re-reading short stories because often the symbolism becomes clearer the more you read the story.
4. "Just As I Am" by Joyce Gibson Roach- This short story deals with the modern church and discovering what being a Christian really is. This short story follows the main character as she discovers her identity and her place within the community. It is also short so it is great for someone who is really busy as a summer reading.
5. "Desiree's Baby" by Kate Chopin- Many of Kate Chopin's short stories are worth reading, she is one of my favorite writers because she depicts real struggles for women and she also leaves mystery in her stories. This short story focuses on a couple and their struggle. I don't want to give the story away, but it is a really well written, deep tale embedded with mystery.
Hope some of these were helpful and many are available for free online, so happy reading:)

No comments:
Post a Comment