This week the Bible Verses series is continuing in Proverbs. This week will focus on Proverbs 20. I would encourage each of us to seek God regarding the meaning behind these verses and to live by His word. I would also encourage all of us to continue reading Proverbs to seek more wisdom from the Lord. My hope is that this study would provide some truths that draw us closer to God. Interpretations of these verses are just from study and not based on understanding, I would encourage each reader to seek God on meaning, and form your own comprehension.
Proverbs 20:
- Verse 5
This verse indicates the depth of the heart. It is true that we continue to seek to make our hearts pure with the redemption of Christ. To me this verse can have many meanings based on the context or situation that presents itself. I think it specifically highlights purpose being found in the heart and understanding drawing it out. It seems to me that these are two separate individuals and one is using understanding to assist the other. This is one truth we can carry away from this verse to always use understanding and compassion when assisting another. The verse can offer many other truths based on the context.
- Verse 6
This verse offers several truths. The first being that anyone can speak of their own good nature, but action speaks louder than words. Proclamation is nothing like action. Faithfulness is not found in words but who we are speaks of our faithfulness. This is challenging and yet true that we each must evaluate our own hearts and seek for God to change our hearts; so that we may not speak of love, but that we may proclaim love in who we are.
- Verse 24
This verse is speaks of God's divine power. Who are we to lead ourselves or follow after our own plans? Our steps are marked by the Creator's hand, he created them therefore we do not know where we are going, only He does. I have tried many times to lead myself and determine purpose for myself only to find that I cannot do so. All of my best laid plans have changed over time. God has led me places that He wants for me to go. He has taken me down roads that were paved with trial only to carry me through. Therefore we should seek God to understand life not ourselves for our minds are finite.
- Verse 25
I do not fully comprehend the meaning in this verse, but I believe it speaks of speech verses actions. We can easily speak about holiness and righteousness and make vows to be holy and righteous. Reflection would call us however to seek God for we are sinners. It would reveal our sin not our righteousness. For we are not righteous, He is. We may seek holiness and righteousness through the Holy Spirit. That I believe will lead us through a process of examining our hearts and confessing our sins but never making declarations of ourselves. For we are only holy or righteous because of His spirit not through our own merit.
- Verse 29
This verse is awesome! Young men are strong when they are young, but a life that leads to gray hair is splendor. I believe this indicates a journey. In a few words it highlights a lifetime. Youth offers much in the way of physical strength and ability, but age offers wisdom. I think this verse is uplifting and triumphant. The splendor of men is in their gray hair, it is in the moments that caused them hardship or stress, the ones that built character.

No comments:
Post a Comment