This week we will wrap up our study in James until January. I hope this study has encouraged, inspired, and compelled each of us to seek God more. I am anxious to pick it back up and look forward to our coming studies in the next couple of months. I enjoy all of your comments and thoughts and look forward to discussing the text with each of you:)
*Bible Verses is not an exhaustive study and each reader should seek the Lord alone for revelation and translation.
James 2:14-26
"What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled, without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe-and shudder! Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered up his son Issac on the altar?You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness"- and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead."
I do not believe this passage leads to an interpretation of a works based salvation. Instead I think it speaks to us regarding our own actions, and helps us to analyze how our faith works itself out for the kingdom of God. If we are believers, then certain actions do accompany that belief. I feel like this passage does not compel me to do more to earn God's favor but rather to evaluate my actions and make changes in light of this truth. It inspires me to do more for others but not to gain the favor of God but in light of the conviction of the Holy Spirit.
This passage I believe will speak to each of us differently based on our individual walks with God. Perhaps we can each ponder what work God is calling us to. Who is He telling us to help? How can we show His love to those around us in tangible ways? Where do we need to repent for being prideful and sending someone in need away, or looking down on them, or making an excuse for why we did not step in when they were suffering. The best thing I think we can do with this passage is to reflect on it in our daily lives and try and see when an opportunity to help presents itself.
What does this passage mean to you?

2 comments:
This passage speaks volumes to me, however, I am struggling to put my thoughts into words this time. You can get so much out of this text! It's a great stopping point and I can't wait until January, when we pick it back up. ;o)
Liz,
I am also really eager to get back to this study in January and I look forward to completing a good portion of James at that time. Looking forward to the next few studies too:)
Post a Comment