Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Bible Verses: James


This week we return to James. Next week will be our last week in James until January when we pick it up again. I hope you all are enjoying this book of the Bible, I have found it very convicting and challenging myself. Here is a look at what we will be covering for the remainder of the year. Please share your thoughts, it would be great to have a discussion:) I pray that the Lord continues to use His word to convict our hearts and transform us.

  • This week and next: James 2

  • November: Give Thanks: A series based on elements of faith to be thankful for, each week will include a personal thanksgiving list based on what we are thankful for as well in pictorial format.

  • December: The one and only Son: This series will be based on scriptures for-telling the birth of Christ. Each week will also include a book suggestion based on the Christmas season.
Without further adeiu let us begin. . .

*Bible Verses is not an exhaustive study and each reader should seek the Lord alone for revelation and translation.

James 2: 8-13

"If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, " You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well. But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. For judgement is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. "

I think the best thing to do for this passage and all of this series is seek the Lord. This week we can if led, seek Him specifically regarding those people we have judged. Let us seek forgiveness for where we were quick to judge and not to show mercy. Let this passage lead us to the foot of the Cross'; back to the place where He took on our judgement and poured out mercy. May each of us be transformed.

5 comments:

Annaleah said...

Since you posted that, I'm going to post part of a text conversation I had with Jonathan (I'm probably going to paraphrase it). I would like the opinion/wisdom of whomever would like to chime in.

Me: If the greatest commandment is love, and you must love your neighbor as yourself, yet you loathe yourself, then what?

Him: Follow Jesus's example.

Me: For others, yes, but how do you love yourself?

Him: Take care of yourself, be humble

Me: Ok, but if you've been told you are and felt worthless your whole life, how do you change that?

So, thoughts?

Nicole Stockton said...

Annaleah:
I would say that your self worth comes from Christ alone. It is not based on your own actions/inaction but based on His actions on the cross. Loving Him really helps define yourself and can draw you to understand your true identity. One that is scarcely based on you, but based on His purpose for you, His work through you, His truth living in you. I struggled and myself with trying to find out who I was and accepting myself and I came up empty,

Empty until He filled me with the Holy Spirit. Now I am not defined by anyone or anything other than His grace, mercy, love and the identity He gives me in Christ. This is something I still fight to make real in my life each day and I still struggle but His grace is never failing.

I would encourage you above all else to pray and seek the Lord regarding who you are. I believe that He will truly come through and radically transform. Verses I think that can address this issue are the beatitudes in Matthew 5, Ephesians 2, another great place would be 1st Peter, these texts describe our identity in Christ. Hope this is helpful. If you have any more questions let me know.:)

His love can cover all.

Annaleah said...

Yeah, it's that love thing that gets me...

Liz Luscomb said...

I really think all of the verses can be summed up pretty easily.

Mainly, James is telling us to not show partiality to others. Do not treat the rich better than the poor. His reasoning is because God does not show partiality to anyone and gives generously to all of his children. Also, showing any partiality is a sin and we need to remember that our trials in life are experienced in order for us to become closer to God and rely on him only.

And lastly, show mercy to others!

Nicole Stockton said...

@ Liz,
I completely agree. Partiality is something that I think is hard to overcome as social status is often a big deal in our society and culture.

I think that mercy and love are truly part of our growth in Faith. Seeing those around us as brothers and sisters and not just some guy or girl or random person. Easier said then done on my end but it is something I strive for:)