Thursday, October 6, 2011

Bible Verses: James

Photo Reflection: To be used in coordination with the passage below. . .







Sorry for the delay in this weeks post, things have been a bit crazy! I am really excited about what God has in store for this study, and I hope to incorporate some new stuff in as well. Each week I will try to add something different. This week we will start with a photo reflection in leiu of a commentary. May God speak to us through His word and transform our lives and hearts.

Quick Schedule:
For the next two weeks we will focus on James 1. Then we will move on to James 2 and so forth. We will pick up this study again in January after the special editions of this series that will take place in November and December.

*Bible Verses is not an exhaustive study and each reader should seek the Lord alone for revelation and translation.

James 1: 2-8
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith , and with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."

2 comments:

Liz Luscomb said...

Okay...I don't know if you're wanting comments on the passage or not, but this is what I take out verse 2.
Jesus promised all of us in the book of John that in the world we will have tribulation.
However, many people who are really hurting and having real problems can't see how they should "consider it all joy". I'm guessing that what James is trying to convey is that we should look at the end result and see that there will be joy after our hardship???? (Please let me know if I'm going in the wrong direction here.)
Even Jesus, the one who has perfected faith, asked his Father to save him from the suffering when he went to the cross. However, when he knew he was to be faced with the cross, he did not complain because he knew that "joy" awaited him.
--whew! That was just for verse 2! lol Let me know if I'm not in the right direction here. ;)

Nicole Stockton said...

Liz,
Yes this is exactly what I was looking for. Basically I think biblical interpretation depends on each individual and their relationship with God and so I don't see any thought as right or wrong. James is a dense book of the Bible from what I have encountered so far, and so I see how just one verse has much to be said. I agree with you about verse 2. I think perhaps seeing the eternal when we are in the midst of the struggle of our lives here on Earth. I really appreciate all of your thoughts and comments and this has helped me see the passage in a new way as well. Please continue to let me know what strikes you as this series continues. Much love<3
Nicole