Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer Recipe





This summer I have been cooking new recipies. It has been fun to find and try new things. One recipe I stumbled across was one for a Cranberry-Apple-Raisin Pie. I made it without cranberries because we don't have fresh ones here in Texas. The pie was really good so I wanted to share the recipe with you. It takes a while to prepare, but it is great for a hot summer day. So here it goes a few ingredients have been altered which I will share with you as well. Our pie turned out a little over done, ok maybe alot over done but its the inside that counts right?Please share any recipies you have for summer I would love to try them.
Happy Baking:)

Recipe from "Southern Living Christmas Cookbook"
(Slightly Altered)
Cranberry-Apple-Raisin Pie

Ingredients:
1 1/2 (15oz) packages refrigerated pie crusts, divided
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup golden raisins(or regular we used just regular raisins)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 Tbsp. butter cut into pieces
1 large egg
1 Tbsp. water

Steps
1. Fit a pie crust into a pie plate
2. Stir together 3/4 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, and 1 tsp. ground cinnamon in a large bowl; add apple slices, cranberries, raisins, chopped pecans, tossing to coat.
3. Spoon into pie crust dot top filling with butter
4. Unroll another pie crust; place on top of mixture in pie plate. Cut an "X" on top of crust to allow steam to escape. *For added detail use the remaining pie crust and a cookie cutter to add stars, hearts, etc place on top of pie.
5. Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp. water brush mixture evenly over the top of the pie. Sprinkle evenly with 1/4 cup sugar.
6. Bake at 400 for 20 min, reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 40 min shielding the edges with foil after 30 min.
7. Let stand for 30 min to cool. Add ice cream or whip cream if you want.