
*Warning: We are not defined by what appears.
The following post will focus on a subject that weighs heavy on my heart, one I feel compelled to share, as it is in fact one of my greatest struggles. Appearance. What does it mean? What does it entail? Who is Christ's Church? Is the church defined by appearance?
Personally, I feel like I am always struggling with being genuine and letting go of the need to appear perfect. I believe this lingers on into my relationship with God, as I believe God calls us to break our walls down.
I believe the Bible compels us to shatter our appearances. To shatter our idea of self worth and acceptance. To let people in. To let them see our flaws. I think rather than calling us to appear perfect, good, and right there is perhaps a greater charge calling us to break down. To remove our walls and to be real before others and before Him.
This draws me to speak of judging others, another area of my weakness. I believe that we should embrace all. We (I) should see others like Christ sees them. The people we pass everyday, the people in line in the grocery store, the people we pass in the mall, the people that are not perfect, the people in need of Christ. It is a tale reminder that I was bound by sin, that Christ shattered my facade and created a new heart. That he calls me to see people with a new vision. He does not call me to judge by outward appearance but to tell them of Christ, to love them like Christ. It does not matter if they don't look like me, act like me, talk like me. It should not matter at all if they are struggling in sin, in fact it should compel us to speak to them more. Who am I that I should judge them? Who am I to think that I am better and their appearance defines them?
You see not so long ago, I ran to the foot of the cross. Broken. Not so long ago God shattered who I was, pulled me out of sin, and set me free. You see we arn't so different.
We are not who we appear we are who He is in us. We are His people. We are His disciples. Perhaps to understand this better there is a need to shatter self image and stop clinging to "me".

1 comment:
Wow Nicole, thanks for sharing this, you ARE an amazing woman and I am thankful I know you.
Post a Comment