Monday, December 31, 2012

Bible Verses: New

So to ring in the new year we will be doing a special series called "New" focusing on the promises of God. Please share any promises you cling to, and or how God's promises affect your life as we journey together in this new series. When times are good it is easy to overlook or take God's promises for granted it seems that when we are in the trenches of our faith (so to speak), the Lord's promises seem to come alive. Yet daily we are surrounded by God's promises, in fact they keep us alive. Without God's promises where would we be? ? ? May this study consume our own desire to fulfill and may we find our only substance from Him.

Reflection on Psalm 91(God's protection)
" Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plauge that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
You will observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked. . .

'"Because he loves me, " says the Lord, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation."'

Perhaps the beginning of this sounds troubling the individual is not living in a time of abundance and peace, people are dying all around them, and yet the Lord protects the individual from fear. . .  Fear is a great opponent and a very difficult enemy, I myself have battled and still battle fear daily and yet fear does not consume me, why? Is it because I overcome? No, it is simply because of this promise of God, that He will not leave me in times of fear. When the world is crashing down around us, as it seems to be for the individual above we will have peace because we know Him. His promise does not rescue us necessarily from the bad in the world, instead it rescues us from being consumed by it.

The end of this Psalm is so amazing and so profound that upon several readings I still cannot comprehend it fully. God will be with us in time of trouble, when we call he will answer, He will show us the astounding promise of salvation. . . I have no words for this perhaps I am speechless before a God whose mercy is unfathomable. 

Please share your thoughts below. . . 


No comments: