Monday, May 14, 2012

Bible Verses: Mental Illnesses

I wanted to write a post regarding mental illness as part of the Bible Verses series. There are several mental illnesses so this will not be comprehensive. Mental Illness is something that is very real for many people and to try and sum it up in a blog post will not do it justice, at all. Please know that mental illness is an issue close to my heart, in fact I carry it around with me as the weight of where God has called me beckons me forward. I know people who struggle everyday with this, these people are very close to me so this is by no means a light subject. I am nothing more than a vessel so may God speak through me.

What does this have to do with God or the Bible you ask? I will say that those with mental illness have a special connection with God, I have seen it. It is something so pure that one just must watch in awe as what the world deems as disability becomes an absolute joy that leaves me feeling disabled.What do I know about God speaking through mental illness, it will blow you away! Our God is able. He made each hair on every head of these children and adults, that face insurmountable odds. He moves in their midst and I dare say we may want to take a little council from them.
Why do you care what you look like, don't you know who made you?
Why do you worry about what other people think of you, just be who God made you to be.
Why do you judge others? Can't you see the plank in your eye?

When was the last time you saw someone and felt sorry for them thinking what a great weight and burden to bear. What weight do we carry? Pride, envy, lust, greed. Our God is able. . . What the world deems as less. . . God calls more. . . What the world deems as disability. . . God uses for His purpose.Rather than snicker, hug. Rather than stare, smile:) Then we may see a glimpse of what it means to truly put others before ourselves.

We are all disabled mentally, we are plagued by an enemy, we fight mental battles everyday, but somehow when we see others struggle we forget how disabled we are. They have the ability to see what we cannot. They have the ability to love in a way that we cannot. God uses us all for His glory.

God help us to see that your purpose far outweighs our mental limitations and understanding, help us to love others as your Son does, change our hearts Lord as we seek You. Amen.


1 comment:

Liz Luscomb said...

I too, know others who struggle with mental disabilities/illness. I am thankful every day that it has not been my burden, but I pray daily for all of those who suffer from it. I always pray for a cure. In fact, Dr. OZ had a special on depression and how there is a treatment that has been proven to work without meds. The reason Dr's are not using this method is mainly because insurance will not pay!! Keep praying...