Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Bible Verses: Marriage Flashback

So this begins our series on marriage and I thought I would start with a flashback to traditional vows, what we all promise when we get married and add a extra ones in. In the meantime I think it would be cool to start the series for married couples with a flashback to our weddings. So set a date this week with your hubby get a sitter, pull out the old photos, and remember the day that started your journey. If you are single make a date with your parents or a couple you know discuss with them what they remember promising and what their vows mean to them today, even if you don't plan on marrying soon it can be a moment to remember with someone you love. So here it goes we all promised:

For Better, or Worse
For Richer, or Poorer
In Sickness, in Health
To love and to Cherish

Extras:
In the early morning and late at night (the first one being harder for me:)
When you are mad and when you are happy
When you succeed and when you fail
When the baby keeps us up all night, and when we sleep peacefully
In labor and in pregnancy,
When the car breaks down in the middle of the road,
Loving you is what I choose to do, it is what I want to do, it is what with God's help I will do.


Till death do us part. . .  I will quote marriage pastor Jimmy Evans when he says, " We make these vows because someday we will face the worst, we will face being poor, and we will encounter sickness." (paraphrase). I think it is really easy for me to take these vows for granted and as soon as something bad happens forget what I vowed all those years ago. I did not just vow to stay with Jared, I vowed to love and cherish him through all of the above. It is easy for me to stick around and not deal with the heart issue that what I think and how I act reflect either love or something much less. I am either cherishing him or taking him for granted. It is difficult to face but I am willing to bear all in order to fall deeper in love. We cannot fall more in love if we always gloss over the difficulties in our marriage so one of the goals of this series is that hopefully through this series each of us will fall deeper in love with our spouses. So enjoy your dates, look back, and remember, God put these vows in our hearts and he is faithful to complete every good work.

Please share your thoughts and feelings about vows or your marriage below in the comments section or on Facebook.

No comments: