Thursday, August 8, 2013

Bible Verses: Identity Crisis

*Note this flower has faced many a trial from grasshoppers, to heat, to caterpillar mating season, it remained so it seems to represent to me a beautiful picture of our topic.

Hi all we are back in action. . . and I believe that God is speaking in mighty ways to a number of us on a number of issues regarding our identity in Him. This week and next we will cover Challenges a part of this series that will deal with struggles in this life and how those struggles effect our identity. The final two weeks in August and the final two weeks in this series, we will cover a series of in depth serious questions and quotations to meditate on regarding our identity, I call this Question UR self. Anyhow following that we will be on our two month break and will return in November. For now let's dive in. . .

Challenges: We will deal with the following verse for the next two weeks:
James 1:2-4
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness, And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

This week we will discuss joy, trials, and testing of Faith.

Joy: When I was a kid we used to sing a song called, 'I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart. . if the devil doesn't like it he can sit on a tack.' the fact that tacks are pretty much out of use now makes this song a tad difficult to teach to our own young children. Where does joy come from and what is it? I would say that joy springs from brokenness, it is a well of amazing power that can only spring forth from trials and tribulations. I do not think joy occurs without a measure of pain because it is through pain that we grow to trust and thus experience the Holy Spirit's peace in our midst. Joy is not something you can create like happiness. . . you have no control over joy it controls you. I remember feeling this very powerfully at my grandmother's funeral, while I could feel the pain of loss an overwhelming sense of peace and tranquility swept over me because I knew she was a believer. . . that was joy. It does not remove pain, it occurs in the midst of pain despite it because it is a supernatural work of the Holy Spirit.

Trials: I have a large birthmark on my arm, this used to disturb me and even bother me a little, now I attribute it to a significant difference I have with others, a trait of my identity if you will. Trials are like birthmarks, they don't go away but they contribute to our overall identity, they help mold us and tell our story. Sometimes we want to hide them, sometimes we want to remove them, but in the end God says, 'this is meant to be a part of you to bring me glory.' We will all bear our own trials, carry our own burdens, and endure our own suffering and this is for His glory and not our comfort. We do not come away from serious trials unscathed and scar free, instead as Disciple the band might say, "The Scars Remain." It is these scars that form a beautiful, broken, mess that God calls a testimony. . . for in our weakness then He is strong.

Testing of Faith: Recently, I have felt like my faith has been put to the test, and it still is being held to the inexhaustible scrutiny of the Father's guidance. In times like these I feel out of control and as an individual who very much enjoys and even relishes a sense of control, these times are difficult for me. I know it is God taking control from me so that I will have no choice but to seek Him and trust Him. As faith is tested, we will be victorious if our faith is marked by trust in the Holy Spirit and trust in the Lord.  When our faith is tested our trust remains. Who do we trust? What do our choices say about our relationship with Him?


No comments: