Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Bible Verses: Marriage

Ok we begin this week with a new study and I want to blanket it with prayer, open it to honesty, and hope for growth for all of us and our marriages. I am not quite sure what format this study will take it may just change over time but since we have two months to cover the topic I thought why not just let it flow. . . that being said I plan to open up about my own marriage, but not to the point of revealing everything (some things are better left between two people). I do believe in transparency to a certain degree but not when it violates the sacridity(just made up another word!) between two people. Anyhow, this week will start out with a multitude of verses regarding marriage. For this week if you would like to share either/both/or prayer requests for your own marriage or a commentary about biblical marriage that would be awesome!

Marriage according to the Word: (A small selection of verses that can be found at: http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/marriage-bible-verses/ )

Genesis 2:22-24
"Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, " This is now bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman' for she was taken out of man." For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

Colossians 3:18-19
"Wives submit to your husbands, as is fitting to the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them."

Proverbs 19:14
"Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the Lord."

Proverbs 20: 6-7
"Many a man claims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find? The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him."

Ephesians 5:22-23
"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior."

My own personal commentary on these verses is that they are still a work in progress in my own marriage. I do not think one can master the art of being a wife overnight rather I believe it to be a lifelong process that one must consistently give themselves to. So I still need prayer to live out these verses daily and seek the Lord regarding how to better submit to my husband. Submission is not a natural ability I possess rather it is something the Lord continues to work on in me. Share your own thoughts below: 


No comments: