Just when you think you know it all about marriage be prepared. . . God may very well challenge you and in the process evoke change. Recently I have been reading an awesome book and in it is a very different picture from some I have heard in the past. . . so it may be a bit on the controversial side, which I have never been one to avoid. If you agree or disagree with this please share your thoughts. . .this blog is free to have different opinions. Those who know me well will most likely know my own viewpoint on these passages. Anyways, I hope this challenges us to perhaps see our roles in a new way whether we agree or disagree. . . Also if you would like to share an excerpt about your own marriage journey please FB message me or contact me somehow and we can find a way to have you guest write on the blog for a while. . . I think it would be neat to have a variety of viewpoints and experiences.
These quotes are from the authors Fred and Brenda Stoker who have written an entire series of books. . . called Every Man's Battle, Marriage, Challenge or Every Woman's Battle, Marriage. . etc.
" While their helper role is rarely supported from the pulpit, countless sermons and books pound at our wives to submit, submit, submit, no matter how their husbands act and no matter how blind we have become.
And so their helper role, which might have helped strengthen us husbands to become great leaders in our homes, has been stripped away from our wives, while the bettter Christian male leadership we might have provided is compromised." -Written by Fred
"As women sometimes you'll be called upon to stand up to your husband's foolishness to protect your house, and you'll have to trust the Holy Spirit that as you speak His words into your husband's heart, your husband will listen and the fruit of the Spirit will blossom broadly in his life. Your reward will be peace in your house. Quiet submission is not the only path to peace and health in marriage." -Also written by Fred
"When Brenda stands up for her right to speak into my life, she's actually standing up for me, though it rarely feels like it at the time. When she refuses to be still regarding my crushing behavior, is it an abdication of her call to submit to my authority? Heavens no! It is the proper discharge of her call to help me see and to lift me towards Christian greatness. It is a sign of her unconditional love for me." -Fred
I do like the male perspective here which is rare when it comes to marriage advise. Do I fully agree with Fred? Perhaps not, but I am in no position to invalidate his feelings and to some degree I do think he is right in certain regards. I will say that as he states, most books I have read admonish women to be submissive only in regards to their husbands. How do I feel about this??? Yes we should challenge our hearts to submit,but we should not submit in dishonesty, nor should we allow our homes to be compromised for submissions sake nor should we remain silent when it comes to sin, that contradicts other scriptures in the Bible to speak of submission in absolute terms when truth and honesty become hidden. Just my own two sense. . . how do you feel?
Monday, May 6, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh my, this is a controversial topic, especially in society today, where women are reaping the benefits of feminism.
However, I must say that as a culture, we often associate the term submit as being synonymous with the word "obey".
I think a wife's submission to her husband is supposed to be like the church's submission to Christ. I think the story of Abigail, Nabal, and David is a good explanation of what submission is about. It means placing yourself under someone else, and we are to do it with everyone! This is really long winded so I'll stop here! haha. Good topic Nicole. It is certainly one that all godly women and men should study.
Post a Comment